Saturday, July 23, 2011

Time to Cut My Budget

I'm going to cut my spending  . . . I hope you will participate and do your part too.

With all the concern about the Federal debt limit, spending cuts, and tax increases I got to thinking and remembered that back in April of 2009 the President ordered the Cabinet to cut $100 million from the $3.5 trillion federal budget.  I felt bad because I hadn’t done my part.  I’ve been spending at my normal level ever since he made the request.

I was so impressed by this requested sacrifice that I have decided to stop sitting around and do the same thing with my personal budget.  Shared sacrifice is the current buzz word.   I spend about $2000 a month on groceries, household expenses, medicine, utilities, etc, but it's time to get out the budget-cutting axe, go through my expenses, and cut back.

I decided to cut my spending at exactly the same ratio, 1/35,000 of my total budget.  That’s the least that I can do.  After doing the math, it looks like instead of spending $2000 a month; I'm going to have to cut that number by six cents. Yes, I'm going to have to get by with $1999.94, but that's what sacrifice is all about. I'll just have to do without some things that are, frankly, luxuries.
I hope that you will do your part too.

No comments:

Post a Comment